Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Come Out, Come Out, Where ever You Are

I think Patrick Guerriero is dead on here. I'm not sure how you can be gay and support Bush after he backed the "Federal Marriage Amendment", which would block our civil rights for at least 40 years. However, I have met gays who work on the Hill for fire-breathing homophobes, and even some that work for the Heritage Foundation.

Hopefully, they are doing some good in their jobs. I doubt that one staffer could turn off Bill Frist or Rick Santorum's homophobia, but at least it puts a face on the comments that they make. When Cornyn compares our relationships to screwing turtles, or Coburn wants the death penalty for gays, then I don't see how any gay man or woman could reasonably stay silent and write presses releases condemning their own lives. I certainly could never work for a governor who vetoes a gay marriage bill, or begs Congress to pass a Constitutional amendment to overturn the work of his own legislature on gay marriage.

I understand all too well being discriminated against at work. I was outed to my Mormon employers, who told me that I should seek help in becoming straight. I don't have a rainbow flag at work, but most people who I work with regularly know that I'm gay.

Those who choose to stay in the closet and work with people who hate us are damaging their own souls and making life more difficult for the rest of us. If people like Martina Navratilova and Ellen DeGeneres hadn't come out, most Americans would only have demonic images of gays as inspired by the Pope and Sam Nunn. When you see Rosie O'Donnell get married to her girlfriend along with their children, gay marriage moves from theory into real life. That's why the sponsor of the Massachusetts anti-gay marriage amendment reversed his vote in 2005 to help vote it down. Once you realize someone you like is gay, you start to realize that gay people aren't nearly as bad as you've been told.


Gay Conservatives

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home